Urban Poling Nordic Walking
Classes, Quick-Start Clinics &
Nordic Walking Classes
Toronto -- 2017/2018
Explore some of Toronto's most beautiful and walkable areas.
Traffic-free paths, an exhilarating full-body workout & friendly conversation.
What more could you want? Please join us!
- I loan and sell Urban Poling brand poles for classes if you don't have your own. I prefer Urban Poling equipment (with their safe and easy-to-use strapless handles). If you have your own poles, are you sure they're Nordic walking poles and not hiking/trekking poles? Read More About Poles below this bullet list.
- All-Levels classes (not Gentle Beginners) must be able to walk for one hour at a moderate to fast pace.
- The Gentle Beginners class is ideal for new exercisers and those with health concerns who prefer a small-group setting, no hills and a shorter slower-paced class with stops and starts. Physiotherapists frequently refer their inactive, older and post-physio clients to this class.
- High Park offers quiet, car-free walking with beautiful scenery, long hills, steep staircases, wooded areas, trails and dogs! Lots of free parking before 9:00am and TTC accessible. Washrooms available. This location offers challenging terrain.
- Mount Pleasant Cemetery offers quiet, car-free walking on smooth asphalt roads with beautiful scenery and very few hills. Lots of free parking and TTC accessible. Washrooms not always easily accessible.
- Lawrence Park (Alexander Muir Gardens, ravine trails and quiet neighbourhood streets) offers a combination of paved walks, wooded trails, hills and staircases. TTC accessible, lots of free street parking but no washrooms.
More About Poles:
There are many different styles and qualities of Nordic walking poles. Some people are disappointed to learn that the poles they bring to my classes aren’t the best quality (e.g., they rattle, they're difficult to adjust, locking system doesn’t hold, boot tips are too hard, straps are cumbersome, etc.) Other people discover that they’ve purchased trekking/hiking poles, not Nordic walking poles (one quick indicator: Nordic walking poles have angled--not round--rubber boot tips). If you haven't already purchased a pair, I suggest learning about poles by borrowing from me first. Then make an informed decision when you’re ready to buy. Visit the Urban Poling website for details about the equipment I recommend and sell.
"Your workouts are the best thing I've done for myself in a long time!" Ruth
"I call my poles my magic sticks. They've led me on adventures that wouldn't have seemed possible a few years ago. It all started when I saw Barb Gormley on TV. Talk about a New Year's resolution that worked! They've changed my life!" Nancy
"My sister and I are really hooked! Thanks for a life-changing class!" Terri
Quick-Start Nordic Walking Clinics 2017/2018
Not able to attend weekly classes?
My 75-minute Quick-Start Clinics teach you all you need to know in one efficient session.
What you get:
- One-on-one coaching & personal feedback.
- A handout detailing the techniques and skills you've learned.
- A copy of my book (digital or hard copy, your choice), The Urban Poling Ultimate Guide to Nordic Walking
- A loan of poles for the session (or bring your own) at no charge.
- Poles for sale at a discounted rate at the end of the session.
Like to host a Quick-Start Clinic for a group of friends or colleagues, for a special birthday celebration or at your place of business? Please be in touch!
"Thanks for the great training today. I am now barrelling around the neighbourhood...even faster than my husband!" Cathy
Private classes (60 minutes) are ideal for people who prefer to learn at their own pace and at a time and location that's most convenient for them. I supply the Nordic walking poles.
Locations: Mount Pleasant Cemetery, Withrow Park (Broadview/Danforth), High Park or a location near you
Cost: $80 (total) for 1 to 4 people; $20 per person for groups of 5 or more
"When I woke up this morning it was obvious that my arms and abs got a terrific workout yesterday!
Thank you for sorting out my spotty technique. It's clear that teaching myself wasn't the best idea and that I have not been doing it correctly for the past two weeks..." Paul
URBAN POLING NORDIC WALKING
I currently offer three Urban Poling Nordic walking instructor courses. Click on the image below to be directed to the details!
NOTE: Private Level 1 Certification Courses
- Can't attend any of my scheduled Level 1 Certifications? I also offer private one-on-one courses at several GTA locations. (We find a location and time that is convenient for both of us). Cost: $265 Length: 3 hours Includes: everything included in the group certification courses. Please be in touch if you're interested!
"Barb, I found the course very informative and comprehensive, and you are an excellent instructor. You made the course fun and interesting. I have been to a lot of courses and this one was one of the best. Nordic walking truly does give a great workout!" Kristine
"Barb's energy is fantastic. She presented the material in a timely manner without losing our attention or our ability to understand!! She deserves a raise - LOL!! Can't wait to get our members poling. They will love this workout." Kim
"The Secrets of Success online course was great! Travel is very difficult and expensive, so I LOVE the online option. I really liked the personal experiences of other instructors plus the forms and flyers that you shared." Carey
"I love teaching urban poling and am so glad I did my certification! My participants are thrilled to be able to increase the distance they cover each week." Sarah