Writing & Editing
I’m a no-hand-holding-required professional writer, specializing in health, fitness and business, with 15+ years of experience. I pride myself on submitting high-quality copy—with punchy leads, compelling characters and surprising stats—on deadline.
I attended the Ryerson Magazine and Web Writing program and am a member of the Professional Writers Association of Canada.
My clients include Chatelaine, the Toronto Star, Diabetes Dialogue, Fitness Business Canada, Brookfield Properties, the Canadian Physiotherapy Association and the Ministry of Health Promotion and Sport.
Click here for samples of my writing.
As an editor, my job is to elevate your writing by giving it a professional polish.
For example, I simplify overly-complicated sentences, smooth out bumpy phrases, improve paragraphing and correct inconsistencies—all while retaining your message and “voice.”
I may ask you about unclear statements and make suggestions. Of course, I also correct grammar and spelling errors.
The result? Copy that is suddenly easy to understand, a pleasure to read, and more effective at conveying your message.
What I Write
- Magazine and newspaper articles on topics as varied as creating a positive company culture, reinventing your fitness club and managing transgender employees. I'm a long-time writer for Fitness Business Canada and the CDA's Diabetes Dialogue.
- Corporate communication materials, including press releases, memos, announcements and other business documents
- Website content, including articles, product descriptions, web pages and blog posts. I'm a regular contributor to FilaCanada.com and a past fitness expert for Chatelaine.com
- Training manuals that present information in an easy-to-understand and engaging manner
Can you spot the grammar gaffes?
- "According to John, it's less than twenty people," said Susan.
- "Lets meet at noon on Tuesday", said Jim
- Carol said "The woman was running and yelling: "The house is on fire"!".
- He loved boating, fishing and to take long walks.
- It will be many years, before we understand the effect of this new law.
- I'd award the prize to the woman that performed last.
- The herd of cows, that were terrified by the cars, were lead to safety.
- If I was treasurer of that organization, I know exactly what I'd do with its' money
- My interest was peaked by his intriguing stories and I was excited to learn more
How Many did You get right?
- "According to John, it's fewer than 20 people," said Susan.
- "Let’s meet at noon on Tuesday," said Jim.
- Carol said, "The woman was running and yelling, ‘The house is on fire!’"
- He loved boating, fishing and taking long walks.
- It will be many years before we understand the effect of this new law.
- I'd award the prize to the woman who performed last.
- The herd of cows, which was terrified by the cars, was led to safety.
- If I were treasurer of that organization, I know exactly what I'd do with its money.
- My interest was piqued by his intriguing stories, and I was excited to learn more.
9 correct—Wow, impressive!
5-8 correct—Nice work!
1-5 correct—Give me a call!